International Travel

Harvard Global Support Services

Harvard Global Support Services (GSS) offers international travel, research and programming support in areas that span safety and security, health, culture, outbound immigration, employment, financial and legal matters and research center operations.  GSS serves students, faculty, and staff accross all Schools, departments and centers.

For more information and resources, visit the Harvard GSS website.

International SOS

International SOS provides 24-hour, worldwide medical, mental health and security assistance and evacuation services to eligible Harvard students and employees while on Harvard-related travel abroad. Harvard GSS manages the University's International SOS membership.  For more information, or to request a membership card, visit the Harvard GSS website

If you need medical, mental health, or security help while abroad on a Harvard-related trip:

  1. Call the local equivalent of 911, if appropriate
  2. Call International SOS at +1 617-998-0000 (worldwide, 24/7) for additional help, including non-emergency help.  You can also connect through the Assistance App.

If you're unsure whether local emergency services can be trusted or can provide adequate care, then your first point of contact should be International SOS.  Case managers are available to help you 24/7.

Passport and Visa Services

Visa and passport processing firms are often able to obtain travel documents more quickly than individual travelers and are especially beneficial for rush orders. Harvard Global Support Services has partnered with -Travel Document Systems, Inc. (TDS), a Passport and Visa Services vendor who can assist Harvard travelers with passport and visa services for international travel at discounted pricing. They can answer questions about visa requirements free of charge either via their website or by phone.

You can call TDS at +1-877-874-5104 Mondays—Fridays from 8 am–8:30 pm (EDT) for advice, to start an application, or to check progress on an application. For help in resolving issues with an application in progress, ask for the primary Harvard account manager, Dwayne Flowers, or the individual TDS staff member processing your visa (as listed on your order).

For more information, visit the Harvard GSS website

Travelers' Health Information

Harvard University Health Services provides helpful health Information tips on preparing for your trip. To visit their site, click here.

Cellular Global Roaming Information

Cell phone/Smartphone use when traveling abroad can become cost prohibitive if you are not equipped with the correct plans and tips for minimizing cost. HUIT Telecom Operations has developed mobility guides with essential step by step instructions to ensure that you minimize cell phone costs for both voice and data while traveling abroad.

Click here for more information and a Cell Phone Travel Checklist to make sure you are ready to take your cell phone/Smartphone abroad.

Short-Term Rentals

If you do not have a cell phone and are traveling on Harvard business; HUIT Telecom offers voice-only domestic and voice-only international cellular phones for short-term rental. To reserve a Short-Term rental cell phone, call 5-4900 or fill out the request form and email it to

Foreign Per Diems

Foreign per Diem rates change on a monthly basis due to foreign currency fluctuations. When using foreign per diems, select the country and then the month in which the person was traveling. The M&IE rates represent the daily meal per diem.
Note: Any location not listed under a country takes the "Other" per diem rate we administer and publish for that country. An unlisted suburb of a listed location takes the "Other" rate, not that of the location of which it is a suburb.

Foreign Currency Converter

When submitting foreign receipts for reimbursement you must translate those receipts into US Currency. To do so, you can either use the US dollar equivalent that appears on your credit statement or use the Oanda Currency converter.

Fly America Act and Open Skies Agreement

For Information about the Fly America Act and Open Skies Agreement, click here.
For a Fly America Act and Open Skies Agreement decision tree, click here.

For a list of countries included in the Open Skied Agreement, click here

For a list of US Carriers, click here

Travel Advisories

The State Department provides country-specific information on visa requirements, safety and other travel advice. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provide travel health information. Please pay particular attention to Travel Warnings or Alerts from these agencies.
To visit the University’s Travel Risk Rating site, click here.
To visit the State Department site, click here.
To visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, click here.

Vice Provost for International Affairs

Policies and resources are available online here.

Harvard's Travel Safety Policies and Practices

Questions about Harvard's travel safety policies and practices should be e-mailed to


fly_america_with_updated_fatref_link.doc53 KB